11 oz. Vaquero Rawhide Cream®
VAQUERO RAWHIDE CREAM® — made especially to clean and soften fine rawhide tack, VAQUERO RAWHIDE CREAM® restores and protects the integrity of rawhide tack from water, wear and sun.
Although originally created to clean and condition rawhide, our customers have discovered that VAQUERO RAWHIDE CREAM® is ideal for: saddle strings, motorcycle leathers, tooled leather, English and Paso Fino saddles, brief cases, leather care seats, exotic leathers such as kangaroo, ostrich, gator or any leather you wish to condition without darkening.
VAQUERO RAWHIDE CREAM® is still handmade, by the Holes family, with the original 1976 recipe of second-generation, expert saddle maker Gerald Ray Holes.
Second-Generation Saddle Maker Gerald Ray Holes created Vaquero Rawhide Cream® in the 1970's to clean, soften and preserve rawhide reins, bosals, reatas, hondos and other rawhide buckaroo gear.
Even though it's our newest leather care product, (Saddle Butter® was created by Ray Holes in 1936,) Vaquero Rawhide Cream® is a top seller worldwide. Leather lovers have found a growing list of uses for this refined, light leather and rawhide dressing. It's perfect to clean, preserve and condition: rawhide tack, saddle strings, Western, English and Paso Fino saddles, car seats, brief cases, purses, and exotic leather boots.
Cleaning Rawhide Reins with VAQUERO RAWHIDE CREAM®
- Use a soft brush to remove buildup of dirt, dried sweat, hair, etc.
- Lather on a light coat Vaquero Rawhide Cream® with a little warm water. (Water temperature: if you can put your hand in the water, it's safe for cleaning rawhide. Up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.)
- Don't immerse the rawhide in water.
- Where the rawhide braid crosses, use a soft brush (tooth brush or nail brush) to work out the dirt.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Wipe dry with a towel.
- Hang reins and let rawhide air dry in the shade.
- Do not dry rawhide in the sun or with direct heat.
Conditioning with Vaquero Rawhide Cream®
- After rawhide is dry, apply a light coat of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® with a soft cloth, sheep skin swatch or with your hand.
- Using your hand to apply Vaquero Rawhide Cream® works well. The warmth of your hand helps distribute and penetrate the rawhide cream.
Really, Really Important: It's best to use a light coat of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® and add more later, if needed. It's not possible to tell how much of this rich dressing is being absorbed until the next day.
- Let reins hang straight overnight.
- Next day: Work in any excess conditioner with your hands, then buff with a soft, clean cloth or sheep skin swatch to remove any conditioner that isn't absorbed into rawhide.
- Apply more light coats of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® until reins are the softness you want.
Everyday Maintenance of Rawhide ReinsNothing will get rawhide reins perfectly clean.
- After each ride, gently wipe off the buildup of dirt/sweat/hair/etc. with a soft cloth.
- If there is visible dirt and sweat, you can use warm water and a light lather of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® to clean — just be sure to let the rawhide slowly dry out of the sun after cleaning.
- Apply a light coat of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® after cleaning to replenish and condition the rawhide.
What People are Saying about VAQUERO RAWHIDE CREAM®
ReviewsI have some very old 5mm leather that this worked great on! felt a difference almost immediately - Kaylie
Used this on an old pair of reins given to me recently - two applications and they are now buttery soft. Also, tried the saddle butter on my DP Saddle.... looks new again! -Susan
Share this Product
More from this collection
Easy to apply with immediate results. Used very sparingly so the jar should last a long time.
my tac was very dirty and dry . it took a couple of cleanings and 3or 4 lite coats of the rawhide cream but all is well , it takes time but well worth it thank you , ill order more and keep plenty on hand Steve
Both orders work very well. I am quite pleased with the producta. They have brought life back into pieces I have had for years. Thank you
Works like they said it would!! Exceptional now days.
I was totally surprised that my Rawhide bossel and hanger bought in 1959 would come out so nice..I used it for 25 years on one horse and started my colt with it. Been hanging in the house for all those years..now I wanted my Son to be able to use it..looks nearly new..Thanks for the great product!