How To Use Ray Holes Leather Care Products
CHAP WAX® and DRI-BOOT®
Waterproofing Made Especially Leather Gear Exposed to Foul Weather
Lasts longer than grease and can be used repeatedly without causing leather to become spongy or stretch out of shape.
Chap Wax and Dri-Boot are the same product — different packaging.
Instructions for Waterproofing Leather
- Clean leather thoroughly with warm water and saddle soap or Vaquero Rawhide Cream®.
- Allow leather to dry.
- In a warm room, apply softened Chap Wax® to clean, dry-warm leather.
- Heat, such as the warmth of your hands, sunshine, or warm air from a blow dryer will help Chap Wax® penetrate deeper into the leather and stitching.
- Use caution. Excess heat can damage leather.
- Or, warm jar of Chap Wax® until waxes are softened to the consistency of soft butter. With lid removed, place jar in a pan of warm water on the stove top. Chap Wax® can also be warmed in the microwave, on low, in 15-second increments until you’ve reached desired softness.
- Apply a light coat of warmed Chap Wax® with a soft brush, wool skin, or your hands.
- Allow to cool one day.
- Buff off excess with a soft cloth. The hard-water-repellent Carnauba wax, cools white and buffs out to clear.
- Use one or more coats, depending on weather conditions.
- Additional Chap Wax® should be applied to seal vulnerable leather—for example, stitched areas on your boots. Brush an extra coat or two of Chap Wax® onto stitching and to leather outsole and welt.
Chap Wax® can be applied to leather, after conditioning with Saddle Butter® for additional waterproofing treatment.
Made Especially for Leathers Exposed to Foul Weather and Hard Service
Protects your gear from two of leather’s worst enemies—water and sweat.
Clean Leather Well Before Conditioning
- Never apply conditioner to dirty leather.
- First, use a soft brush to remove dirt, dried sweat, hair.
- Clean leather thoroughly by lathering saddle soap or Vaquero Rawhide Cream® with a little warm water.
- Water Temperature: Warmer is better.
- If you can put your hand in the water, it's safe for cleaning saddle leather.
- Wash both top grain and flesh sides of leather.
- Rinse off with warm water. Towel dry.
Condition Leather with Saddle Butter®
- Before leather is completely dry, apply a light layer of Saddle Butter® with a soft cloth or sheep skin swatch.
- Or, apply or with your hands.
- The warmth of your hand helps distribute and penetrate the Saddle Butter® into the leather.
- Saddle Butter® can be applied to both the top grain and flesh sides of the leather.
- Flesh side leather often comes into contact with sweat and needs extra cleaning and conditioning.
- Saddle Butter® applied to the flesh side will draw deeper into the leather.
- Immediately rub off any extra Saddle Butter® with a cloth or soft brush —especially in tooled areas.
- Allow 6-8 hours for the rich Saddle Butter® conditioner to draw into the leather.
- Remove any Saddle Butter® not absorbed into leather.
- Buff vigorously any surface waxes with a soft, clean cloth or sheep skin swatch.
- The hard, water repellent Carnauba wax cools white and buffs out to
- To remove any Carnauba wax buildup in tooling, warm wax with a hair dryer and buff wax into the leather with a soft brush.
Vaquero Rawhide Cream®
Cleans and Conditions Fine Rawhide and Leathers
Developed for a market that has long been neglected — the need to clean and nourish rawhide tack while protecting its integrity.
Instructions for Cleaning and Conditioning Rawhide
- Use a soft brush to remove buildup of dirt, dried sweat, hair, etc.
- Lather on a light coat Vaquero Rawhide Cream® with a little warm water.
- Use only as much water as needed to clean.
- Rinse off with warm water. Do not immerse.
- Towel off excess water.
- Allow rawhide to air dry in the shade avoiding the sun or direct heat.
- After rawhide is dry, apply a light coat of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® with a soft cloth, sheep skin swatch or with your hand.
- Using your hand to apply Vaquero Rawhide Cream® works well. The warmth of your hand helps conditioner distribute and penetrate.
Really, Really Important: It's best to use a light coat of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® and add more later, if needed. It's not possible to tell how much of this rich dressing has been absorbed until the next day.
- Next Day: Work in any excess conditioner with your hands, then buff with a soft, clean cloth or sheep skin swatch to remove any conditioner that isn't absorbed into rawhide.
- Apply a light coat of Vaquero Rawhide Cream® after cleaning to replenish and condition the rawhide.
Ray Holes Leather Care Products has been family-owned and operated since 1936.
Find a Ray Holes Leather Care Products retailer nearest to you on the "Store Locator" tab of this website.